Tuesday, November 18, 2008

shirley temple

Before now, I never really understood why Shirley Temple movies were such great hits. Corny and predictable, they never could hold my attention for more than fifteen minutes at a time. The plotlines seemed unrealistic and pointless, really, and though I was told in class the reasons for their success, I never really understood them.

The era of the Great Depression is marked in American consciousness as the epitome of financial disaster and poverty, a time of ultimate desperation. During those years the future seemed bleak and distant, there was no good news to be found at any turn, and an air of solemnity hung heavily all across the country (and the world, for that matter). In the midst of this crisis, people barraged incessantly by the forlorn news of reality sought to escape it all for a few hours, and found that temporary solace in Shirley Temple. That's what I was taught in school, but I didn't really understand it. Why would hard-working people waste precious pennies on a corny-cute movie? Weren't they being irresponsible and irrational, ignoring the problems with which they were faced? Also, I didn't see how a movie could really help. It was only two hours, and the cheerfulness wasn't real--so how could it really help?

I think I understand now. I don't for a minute try to equate the current state of our nation with that of the Great Depression--that would be a bit ridiculous, and I have to admit that I roll my eyes whenever someone on the news channel does just that. Yes, we're headed in that direction, but we're not there yet, and we can change things (hopefully). But I do feel like every time I turn on the television, the news goes from bad to worse.

Stocks are crashing, banks are failing, companies are downsizing, thousands are losing their jobs, losing their homes, their livelihoods, and their dreams. Not a day goes by that I'm not barraged with the bad news. It's a constant, steady pummeling, dangerously close to stifling. I'm tired of it, so tired of it. I just want a break! Is that too much to ask? All I want to do is forget the world for a few hours, and pretend that life is bliss. I want to go to the theater and watch Shirley Temple tap dance.


...good thing Twilight comes out on Friday!

2 comments:

Erin The Great said...

You didn't tell me you started a blog?? That's awesome!

lauren said...

ah twilight. i am dragging husband to it. should be a good time.