Wednesday, July 8, 2009

For John

It's hard to know what to say sometimes. This is one of those times. I've put it off, but I feel like I need to say something, so here's my best effort.


My Uncle John passed away just over a week ago, and it was completely out of the blue--a total shock. I wonder if it always feels like that when someone dies, because I've yet to have it happen and not feel that way.


My uncle and I weren't close, as I grew up over a thousand miles from his home, but I do know a little about him. At six and a half feet tall Uncle John was a pillar of love and patience. He was the youngest of seven children, and was a wonderful father to his own little ones. His life wasn't easy--it was hard, in fact. But his soft-spoken hello and friendly smile were always ready whenever we met, and that's what I'll remember most.


Keep your loved ones close, because life is fragile. Don't put things off. Your world can change in an instant.


No comments: